After a long absence, today i decided to update my page ... found another recipe for (mexican hats) and made the batter and was enough to cook for 3 days. i love this kuih since i was a child in m'sia. once cooked, i couldn't stop eating from afternoon till they ran out at night. Today my daughter, Yasmin came over and she loves them too and complaint that she just couldn't stop eating them! good thing is i didn't eat so many. they are very very addictive!!!! kuih came out looking "perfect" - with scalloped edges - when you leave mixture in fridge overnight before frying.
I know ... they are a little black ... i love my kuih/cakes that way.
I couldn't resist taking photo while it's cooking, very interesting to watch it slowly develop .... the recipe below will result in very crispy edges, if u prefer them to be less crispy - use equal amounts of the 2 flours.
1½ cups Hot Water
½ packet Gula Apong (Palm Sugar) - I used 1/2 palm sugar n 1/2 gula merah
3-5 tbsp Sugar (adjust to your taste)
1. Pour hot syrup into flour mixture and mix well until smooth. Cover and stand for at least 2 hours. For a more spongy result, keep overnight in a fridge (i found this is best cos then u'll get the scallopped edges too).
2. Heat up about 1-2 cups of oil in a smal 8 inch diameter wok which has a deep dome shape in the middle. This will shape the kuih accordingly.
3. Pour 1 scoop of batter in the middle at one spot. The kuih will spread by itself & float.
4. Let the edge expand fully before flipping. Flip and prick the centre of the kuih to release some air & prevent it from exploding.
5. Fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.
6. Makan lah as many as u want ........ to heat up just pop into the toaster.
We now have another cat - the white one - actually it's a stray cat that has decided to make our home her own. so now we have 2 cats, a male black and a female white. the visitor eats more than our cat. she is leaving her beautiful fluffy hairs all over the carpet but still ... we couldn't help but love her. she is very affectionate, loves to be patted sooo much.
Isn't she she just gorgeous????!!! She has 2 different color eys, 1 blue and the other one is orange!
And lastly ... here's my new kenwood chef. I finally took the plunge and bought one. So made this sponge and it was so very easy ... no need to hold the mixer for 15 minutes to beat the eggs ... i can walk around whilst the mixer do the hard work for me. GREAT. Definitely money well spent.